IITK (PG) Days

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Day 1: IIT Kanpur

I still remember my first day at IIT Kanpur so clearly. It was a cold Christmas day in XXXX when I landed up there. Many people find the city of Kanpur unbearable but I come from a place that is even smaller and lacking in ‘happening’ things.

I had left my hometown after school, only to land up in a women’s institute where social life resembled more to a jail or a lunatic asylum rather than a college. The next five years were unimaginable, even though they did a damn decent job of educating me. I still remember the graffiti on the desk in one of my classrooms: ‘Anywhere in the world it is great to be young except XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX.’ But I will talk about it some other day.

Coming back to my first day at IIT Kanpur, I ended up at the girl’s hostel (what is called old GH now) and being a P.G., I was promptly allocated a single room. Having spent the past five years in a hostel, staring at a bare room with blank walls was nothing new to me. After a few hours of careless work, the room had acquired a touch of my individuality (read untidy and scattered).

I went to the mess for dinner later that day and found the food sad and pathetic, in other words the usual hostel fare. I think I did not do anything too important afterwards. At 10.00 pm I decided it was time for bed. The rooms in the ‘old’ GH have huge windows and on my first day I had no curtains to put on them.

And that was the beginning of my difficulties. I wanted to put on the lights and read for a while before going to sleep. I also wanted to change into more comfortable clothes. You my dear reader will say, so what was stopping you? You should just go ahead.

But my answer to you is, you may not know something that I did. Even before coming to IITK, courtesy my cousin, a Hall 3, boys hostel resident, I knew that guys could visit any room in the girls hostel from 6 in the morning to 12 at midnight and vice versa. Yes you read it right. In middle of Kanhepur, there exists this little utopia where there are no resident wardens for boys or girls hostel and both the genders can freely enter the rooms of each-other.

From my curtain-less room, the hostel at 10.00 in the night resembled a railway platform more than a girl’s hostel! I had not foreseen this scenario while building my plan for reading and changing into comfy clothes. Imagine no curtains on huge windows of my room, guys moving freely in the corridors and me slopped on my bed. Even though I would be wrapped in the razai (quilt), I still did not like the scene.

Finally, I read the book sitting on a chair and switched off the light before going to sleep and with the noise of feet, guys and gals in the air, I finally fell asleep with the railway platform feeling quite intact.

11 Comments:

At 3/06/2006 12:35:00 AM, Blogger Teens to Toons said...

hehe...
I told you I had found you...

Gaurav Raizada here...

I did not know you had turn into an ultra-hard feminist.. did you??

just joking..

Still in Delhi??

Nice to see you around..

 
At 3/06/2006 01:00:00 AM, Blogger Mridula said...

Gaurav, nice to see you here. You in Delhi? Hey, I was always a feminist! Me too, just joking.

 
At 3/08/2006 08:39:00 PM, Blogger Mridula said...

Thanks Patrix for stopping by and telling me you had a clue even then. I thought so, because all said and done it is very difficult to alter my non-existent writing style :)

 
At 3/11/2006 08:48:00 AM, Blogger vandy said...

Hi mridula
New blog...good.
waiting for ur day2 ,day3 and more posts of PG days :-)

 
At 3/11/2006 10:08:00 AM, Blogger Mridula said...

Thanks Vandy, I think I will be able to post only once a week here. Thanks for stopping by.

 
At 7/26/2006 04:09:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting Posts here! ; - )

Cheers, Rohit

 
At 10/22/2006 01:12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In middle of Kanhepur, there exists this little utopia where there are no resident wardens for boys or girls hostel and both the genders can freely enter the rooms of each-other.

Yes, that was one of the many best things about kanpur...

 
At 10/24/2006 01:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

uff. that was so scary specially the lines which sounder like you had to sleep in a place similar to railway platform :-) . I never stayed in any hostel since I was fortunate(?) to finish all my studies in my native town called Mysore. Needless to say I enjoyed staying with roomies in a paying guest facility when I had to come to bangalore to work before I got married. Those two years were like memorable. I share lot of memories. Many times, I thought I wish I was a boy when my dad didn't permit to stay a night in my friend's place for studies..

When I stayed away, nobody really bothered even if I come home so late or not come home at all(which I never did anyway :-)) equally Those were days when I discovered freedom is not free. It takes lot of guts to stay away from home & I used to badly miss my place called Mysore which is just 140 km frm the place I lived.. It was those rail/bus journey every weekend that I cherished before I got married. Now my husband's insists to stay back in bangalore.. I tease him back that he can never understand what it is all about 'Maayke/Tavaru(kannada)' that is when I feel.. Wish I was a boy!! Not always but...

 
At 6/25/2008 01:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe.. This was so funny.. This is a really sati savitri blog .. My advice would be to look at the world with a different approach..Hope that will make life more fruitful..

 
At 11/14/2009 10:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

 
At 1/18/2010 10:22:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buy lanoxin 25mg biaxin No prescription cloud nine bigprx Without prescription proscar Free pills septilin Visa/Mastercard/Amex/eCheck desyrel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home